Monday, October 5, 2009

Sometimes Good Enough IS Enough

I’ve often heard that as long as you try your hardest that’s enough, but I didn’t really believe it. Even though I know perfection is unattainable, it seems I’m always striving for it and am a little disappointed when I don’t achieve it. I try not to let it bother me, but deep down I think it still does.

I learned a valuable lesson this past weekend from the Big Show. Sometimes, good enough is enough. For things to be perfect, perfection is not always necessary.
I learned this by really tuning in to one my students. This student is severely “directionally challenged”. She goes right when the rest of the group goes left. She lifts her left arm when she should lift the right. She goes forward when she should move back and so on. She’s not yet learned the grace required for dance and often looses the moves. I was worried, but I wanted to let her try because she was so eager. She got up on stage and did her best. Her good enough was really and truly enough. She wasn’t great, but she wasn’t horrible. She tried her hardest and it was okay. She probably won’t ever be a great dancer, hell, she may never even be a decent dancer, but she thoroughly enjoyed her participation in the group and the show and you could see it all over her face. For her, that was enough. Turns out it was enough for me too! Through her I realized that it’s not achieving perfection that really matters, it’s what you get out of the process that makes the moment worthwhile. Perfection is fleeting, but the satisfaction one gains after working hard and making a connection remains.

I’m sure I’m still going to strive for perfection, but I am going to try to remember that there are times when good enough really IS enough.

No comments: